Thursday, May 16, 2019

Fixed: Touchscreen on Windows 10 1809 on Dell Venue Pro 11 5130

My little Dell tablet, a Venue Pro 11 5130, just took the Windows 10 1809 Feature upgrade.

This caused the touchscreen to stop working, to my severe dismay.  I plugged in a USB mouse and fixed it.

The solution was to download and install the Intel Atom Z3000 Chipset driver from this page

(That's for the 64-bit version of Windows.)

During the installation I received a warning that the installed drivers were newer or the same as the drivers I was installing.  I chose to ignore this warning and continue.  After completing the install and rebooting my touch screen worked again.

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Fixed: GFCI Outlet failure (Hardware Bugs!)

Our pool pump stopped working shortly after I started it up this year.  The problem was a failed GFCI outlet.  I replaced it, and that's not really interesting enough to write about.

What is interesting is the cause of the failure, an Electrical short due to (assumed) electrocution and incineration of ants.

I've read that the first computer "bug" was a moth that damaged a vacuum tube.  Now I'm proud to say I've experienced my own hardware bug.

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Book I read: Building Harlequin's Moon

I read Building Harlequin's Moon over the last few days and enjoyed it very much. 

I love sci-fi in general and Mr. Niven's writing in particular.  This and Ringworld are in the running for my best reads of the year.

Ironically I try to avoid reading Mr. Niven's short stories.  They always leave me wanting more!  He's the king of "Open to sequels."

Friday, October 12, 2018

Fixed: Hacking a fix for broken tool case hinges

My socket set case broke, vomiting its contents across the garage.

*grumble grumble*

I fixed it.  Not OEM fixed, but "works for me" fixed.

Get some Nylon webbing, cut it to an appropriate length, and melt the edges so it doesn't fray.  Then drill a hole through the strap and case and pop-rivet the webbing-turned hinge into place.  My straps were soft and kept grabbing the drill bit.  I was successful drilling through them on wood.  For extremely recalcitrant straps I would have melted through them with a soldering iron.

It works!  Now I have to go find all my sockets. Murphy's law dictates the most useful sockets will be least accessible spot. If anyone needs me I'll be magnet fishing under my workbench behind the pile of shingles in the sawdust and spiderwebs.  :/

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Fixed: Skype FOR BUSINESS automatically adjusting microphone volume control

I got a shiny new HP laptop, and started having the echo problems in my conference calls again.

What the heck?

I discovered that Skype for Business also automatically adjusts the Mic, and it runs the gain too high causing echo.

These registry keys and a reboot fixed it.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\RTC\DeviceSettings" /v "AnalogAGC" /t REG_DWORD /d "0"
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\RTC\DeviceSettings" /v "DigitalAGC" /t REG_DWORD /d "0"
reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\RTC\DeviceSettings" /v "AnalogAGC" /t REG_DWORD /d "0"
reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\RTC\DeviceSettings" /v "DigitalAGC" /t REG_DWORD /d "0"

Run those commands from an administrative command prompt to disable the AGC (Analog Gain control) for the RTC (Real Time Communications) API.  This API is documented here, but the registry keys are not.  The registry keys came from this Technet blog post in Japanese

I'm happy it is fixed.  Now I can be on conference calls without causing echo and having to dial in from my phone.

For the record, this has been raised on Skype For Business' User Voice site and currently has over 1600 upvotes.  Please take a moment and add your vote.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Fixed: Skype automatically changing Mic levels on Win10 HP Laptop

For several months I've had an intermittent and infuriating problem in my Skype For Business voice calls.  My microphone level gradually eases its way up to 100% causing horrible audio quality and drowning out my conference calls with noise.

I tried several suggestions including disabling application exclusive access to the device and setting "When Windows detects communications activity: None", but to no avail.  The problem was that it was intermittent and I couldn't find any specific correlation for the issue.

Today I found it.  It's a Skype (not Skype for Business) setting.  (Skype for business users, see the note at the end of this post.)

To get to this setting, click the little "..." Next to your Skype name in the upper left corner of the Skype UI.  Then Select "Audio and Video settings".  On the next screen, click the "Automatically adjust microphone settings" toggle switch from green to gray.


NOTE:  If you are using Skype For Business, it also does this.  I write about how to fix it here: